Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Spoonreader's inspiration

Yes, the book that inspired me to start my blog is We the Media: Grassroots Journalism by the People, for the People. I wrote a review of it for Baltimore City Weekly, a publication I freelance for.
Technology is blurring the lines between journalists, newsmakers, and the audience, making information exchange more honest and robust, according to Gillmor, a nationally known technology columnist for the San Jose, Calif., Mercury News. And if news organizations are brave enough to embrace change instead of rebuffing it, we could all be the better for it.
“Tomorrow’s news reporting and production will be more of a conversation, or a seminar,” Gillmor writes. “The communication network itself will be a medium for everyone’s voice, not just the few who can afford to buy multimillion-dollar printing presses, launch satellites, or win the government’s permission to squat on the public airwaves.”
Check out the enire review here. Read my other book reviews here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog is developing nicely, Spoonreader. Glad you posted all your book reviews.

Anonymous said...

I think you have a point. It's enough to inspire me to let go of all my self-righteous indignation about the media monopolies.-Jill

Angie said...

Thanks for the comment, Jill! The next 20 years of media watching should be very interesting, I hope Gillmor's optimism comes true.
I don't want to be overdramatic, but sometimes I wonder if our historical moment is akin to the people who got to witness Gutenberg and the birth of the printing press.
University of Texas at Austin has a neat site on their Gutenberg bible, the first book printed with movable type.
Check it out here:
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/gutenberg/