Monday, October 25, 2004

High-tech Libraries

I am continually impressed by the technology my local library uses. Thanks to the Internet, I can browse the library catalogue from home. If my library has the book, I can put a hold on it. That means the library staff will fetch the book for me and hold it at the counter for a few days, until I come into get it.
If my library doesn't have it, I can search through the local library network. (Here it's called Alleycat.) It searches libraries within about 100 miles of my town. If one of those libraries has the book, they will send it to my local library. Then I get a phone call or email to let me know it's there, and I have a week to pick it up.
This is super nifty. It saves me lots of time, and I feel like I have access to just about any book I'm interested in.

No comments: