Friday, October 08, 2004

October magic

I have always liked the month of October. My birthday is in October, and my favorite holiday, Halloween, is also in October. I love the way the weather turns cool in October, and I love the magical, mysterious atmosphere created by big orange moons, carved pumpkins and pointed witches' hats.
But a few years ago, I got into baseball. And if you are into baseball, October is the most exciting, magical month of all. The playoffs and the World Series take place in October. It happens every year, just another part of baseball's almost intrinsic connection to the seasons.
Now we are in the midst of October baseball, and the lovable, scruffy Red Sox are going up against the formidable, privileged Yankees. Oh the human drama of it all!
One of my favorite journalists, Michael Lewis, author of hilarious books about the business world (Liar's Poker and The New New Thing, for instance), has written an excellent book that unravels the economics of baseball talent. The book is Moneyball. Its scope is quite remarkable: business, sports, psychology, the human form. If you are interested in such things, you must read it.
If you're just interested in watching baseball at its finest, then tune in tonight when the Red Sox play the Yankees. The winner goes to the World Series.

No comments: