Thursday, October 07, 2004

Best places to read

My spouse and I are going away for a long weekend. I'm having such a good time deciding what books I'm going to bring with me on the plane.
I think I'm going to bring Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen, which is my book group's choice for this month. I think I will also bring The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larsen, about a serial killer at the World's Fair of 1893. It looks excellent, and I'm excited to read it. Larson also wrote Isaac's Storm, about one of the worst storms in U.S. history, the Galveston hurricane of 1900. (Read my recent post on Hurricane Jeanne, a wee little baby storm compared to Galveston.)
Here's my list of best places to cram in reading time, the places where I can blissfully read lots of pages without interruption:
1. On planes. The gentle thrum of the engines help me concentrate.
2. At the car dealership when I get my car worked on. They always take forever. I just have to find a quiet corner away from the piped-in music.
3. At the doctor's office, especially if the doctor is running late. And, I bring my book with me to the examination room because they always make you wait there, too.

What's your favorite place to read?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

4. When my husband goes to meet his pals at Panera's.

Anonymous said...

My favorite place to read is on my treadmill! Exercise the body and the mind, both at the same time. Good blog site, spoonreader.