Sunday, October 31, 2004

Early Voting in Florida

My spouse and I took advantage of early voting yesterday, the Saturday before the election. We had to stand in line for two and a half hours. Afterward, my feet hurt and I was very tired. But I got to cast my ballot for what is the most important presidential race of my lifetime. So it was definitely worth it. (Sorry, but I'm not saying how I voted, you'll have to guess! This blog is nonpartisan.)
The polling place was at one of the two local libraries where I visit frequently. Standing in line for those hours, I got to observe my neighbors. I wondered: For how many was it the first time they had come to this library? The East Lake Community Library is a great library ... They tend to have a lot of the newer books I'm interested in, and the building is homey and the librarians are very friendly.
To help voters pass the time while they waited, the librarians rolled out carts of old magazines. At one point, I looked down the line, and almost everyone was reading! It warmed my heart, it really did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I rode the fence. I waffled. I thought about not voting for the POTUS. On Tuesday AM on my bike ride it became abundantly clear what I would do-- I voted for the spoonreader's guy as once discussed at Panera's.

J. from Ozona