Monday, September 01, 2008

New template and thoughts on my mission

I got bored, so I changed the template for the blog. That's why the colors and layout look different.
I've also been thinking about who are the core audiences for this blog and how I can better serve them.
Here's my list:
  1. Me. Yup, it's true. I am the most dedicated reader of this blog. The number one reason I keep blogging is because it's fun. It helps me organize my thoughts about books I'm reading or themes I'm pondering. I don't post as much as I would like -- there are many things I' obsessed with that never make it to this space. But I do well enough to please myself and keep this thing going. It's hard to believe this blog is going on almost four years now.
  2. My friends from high school. Yes, Louisiana School for Math, Science and the Arts Class of 1990 and friends, I believe you are the next most dedicated readers of this blog. I try to read all of your blogs too, and one day I may do a blog roll. It's fun that we get to share our thoughts with each other. It's like a lovely echo of that intense intellectual community we shared back in the day. Priceless. You mean the world to me.
  3. Various and sundry Web surfers. I get a little report on how people get to this blog, and a lot of it is random Googling. If you Google "Bill Wilson LSD", my blog post on the topic is the sixth hit. That one is probably among the most popular posts on this blog. I also get a good number of hits from students who want to write papers on Spoon River Anthology. I think my post on why this blog has its name is my most-commented post.
  4. Work colleagues. Every now and then, someone I work with will say something like, "Hey, I saw your blog post about blah-dee-blah." That's nice.
So I'm thinking about these audiences as I contemplate a new project for this blog, kinda like my friend Doug's ABCs of Music. More to come on that.

No comments: