Friday, September 12, 2008

Biblical epigraphs

Epigraphs -- the short quotations that begin a longer work of fiction or nonfiction -- are rare in newspaper reporting. But this week's column by Floyd Norris in The New York Times about the takeover of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac uses one perfectly.

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other.

— Matthew 6:24

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were intended to serve at least two masters — the investors who put up capital and a government that wanted to help the housing industry and extend home ownership. In the end, they failed to serve either one very well.
Read the rest of the column here
It got me to thinking about epigraphs -- those short sentences that begin a novel. Usually they get their own page, setting the tone for the 200+ pages yet to come.
Now doesn't that seem like a great Jeopardy! category?
"I'll take Biblical epigraphs for $200, Alex."
Answer: " ... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to the place where he arose ... "
Question: "What is The Sun Also Rises"
Alex: "That's correct, the novel by Ernest Hemingway."
"Biblical epigraphs for $400."
Answer: "For we are strangers before them, and sojournors, as were all our fathers."
Question: "What is Dreams from my Father."
Alex: "Yes, the memoir by Barack Obama."
But then I ran out of ideas for my Jeopardy! category ... . 
Begin tangeant: In the interests of nonpartisanship, I will note that John McCain begins his memoir "Faith of My Fathers" with a moving quote from the eponymous hymn by Frederick William Faber:
Faith of our fathers, living still,
In spite of dungeon, fire and sword;
O how our hearts beat high with joy
Whenever we hear that glorious word!
Faith of our fathers, holy faith!
We will be true to thee til death.
It's works well as an epigraph, but it is not strictly Biblical. I will soon do a separate post on hymns, because I have a lot more to say on that subject. End tangeant.
But then I couldn't think of any more answers for my Jeopardy! category ... 
But I was thinking maybe some of the more knowledgeable Spoonreader readers -- Mmm, I'm glancing your way, Drs. K and L -- might be able to help me come up with four more appropriate Biblical epigraphs! Hope so, anyway.
I have two more pieces of advice for authors about epigraphs.
  1. Pick one epigraph, not two. One epigraph has punch and power. Two epigraphs make you look indecisive.
  2. I would advise against using an epigraph in a foreign language. Most Americans only know one language. And if you use an epigraph in Latin or French, you'll seem pretentious and no one will no what you're talking about -- I'm sorry to say it, but that's just the way it is.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Got one! "I will call them my people,/which were not my people;/and her beloved,/which was not beloved." Romans 9:25 BELOVED, by Toni Morrison--K

Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you on your assertion that 2 epigraphs appear indecisive.
Lola Kate actually made the point before me, Toni Morrison's Beloved.

Morrison uses 2 epigraphs to stray from the dominant discourse, and create her own. The use of multiple epigraphs can be an extremely productive tool, when used correctly (as with any tool).

Angie said...

Thanks for the comment, anon! I can't say I'm very strong in my opinion that one is better than two. It's just a feeling, how I would do it if I ever wrote a book.