Sunday, September 14, 2008

David Foster Wallace, RIP

I learned today that David Foster Wallace has died.
This is sad, shocking news. 
Regular readers will recall he is a particular favorite of mine. His novel Infinite Jest affected me deeply, and I would venture to say even changed my life in the way that only great works of literature can.
The news reports are frustratingly brief -- that he committed suicide by hanging at his home, that his wife found him, that he was 46. There is no mention of depression or illness or other explanation. I doubt we'll learn more -- the human response from his readers is a mournful, incredulous Why? -- but Wallace was an extremely private person.
I'll be gathering my thoughts on his passing and posting more soon. 
This is a very sad day for American fiction, and my sincere condolences to his family and friends. 

No comments: