Saturday, December 23, 2006

The final installment of Harry Potter

The name of the next Harry Potter book was revealed this week: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. J.K. Rowling revealed it through a fun little puzzle on her web site, jkrowling.com. (I always read the little cheat sheets floating around the 'net; I can't imagine how actual kids figure out the complex games she sets up.)

So what does the name mean? Like most of her previous books, nobody knows. Most of the HP titles refer to new themes that haven't been introduced before, and that's the case here. I'm going to hazard my own guess though. "Hallows" can mean holy ones, as in All Hallow's Eve (aka The Eve of All Saints, aka Halloween). I think the Deathly Hallows are the spirits of Harry's family and friends who have died, and they will have a role to play in helping Harry defeat Voldemort. Another clue is from Order of the Phoenix, when Harry heard whispering "behind the veil" in the Department of Mysteries. The veil symbolized death. My hypothesis is the people whispering were those who have died.
Now I don't think it will be like Obi Wan Kenobi in Return of the Jedi, where they come back as regular characters, just, y'know, dead. I think they will be more like friendly spirits, the way Harry's parents appear as part of the Phoenix Effect at the end of HP and the Goblet of Fire.
If I remember correctly, JRK said we hadn't seen the last of Sirius, so that fits in well with my theory, too. I'll see if I can dig up the reference.
I realize this doesn't make much sense unless you've read the books. But so many people have, and in fact one of my favorite things about the books is that they have created a huge reading community. HP lovers unite!

UPDATE: Check the comments for JKR's hints on Sirius and future books.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, right...unite!
wow, i feel very stupid, i thought it was "hollow" not "hallow". but you know, hollow makes more sense, now that i read your post, i'm kind of disappointed...but your idea is interesting. here's a thought! what if it's the poeple Voldemort had to kill to be able to make the horcruxes? they have to be important people, and "deathly" sort of implies that it's a vital detail, maybe to the distruction of the Dark Lord...
well...it's just a thought...but i'm holding you to the promise about the references and i'm hoping you've got more news and contemplations to share...
Don't you love it how we HP lovers love to ruin the surprise by guessing months in advance?!
Nix
P.S. is joe trying to send us to the loony bin? i got as far as the chime-key, but it wouldn't let me drag it to the door!! it's maddening!! oh well...at least i know....

Angie said...

JKR said some interesting things about Sirius in an online chat in 2004. Read the whole transcript via this link:
http://www.mugglenet.com/jkrwbd.shtml
but here are the pertinent quotes:

SiriuslyLovinSirius: If we ever see Sirius again, what form will he be in?
JK Rowling replies -> I couldn't possibly answer that for fear of incriminating myself.

and

Kelpie_8: Will the two way mirror Sirius gave Harry ever show up again?
JK Rowling replies -> Ooooo good question. There's your answer.

For JKR, that's pretty incriminating! ; )