Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Readers Advisory Class

I've finished all the core courses for library science school and now I'm into eclectic electives. The one I'm in now is awesome: The course title is Adult Services in Libraries, but it might be more accurately described as Reader Advisory. Whatever you call it, it teaches all the ins and outs of recommending books for adult leisure reading. One of the primary assignments is book talks, where the librarian gives a 10-minute talk recommending a particular title. We have to give four book talks in four different categories this semester. We get to pick the books.
Here's are the categories and the books I've selected:
So far the class is excellent, excellent, excellent. Really interesting. In fact, I should be blogging more stuff from it like theories of reading and my new favorite reading theorist, Louise Rosenblatt. As usual, apologies for my very sporadic posting and I will try to do better soon. Sometimes life feels just too busy.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I can't wait until you finish this course so you can plot my leisure reading for my entire life. That will be about 10 books, I think!