Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Weeding Process Update

So I totally geeked out this weekend, pulled all the books off the shelves, weeded them and re-ordered them.
All the fiction is now arranged alphabetically by author.
The nonfiction is categorized by subject. The largest subjects, in no particular order are: Ireland, Journalism, Religion/Spirituality, Self-Help, Ecology/Coastal Issues, Baseball, General Nonfiction. I also created sections for Children's Books and Graphic Novels.
By grouping them into subjects, I was able to make substantial process on weeding. For instance, in the category of Ireland, my spouse and I had about a dozen books on the history of Ireland, and another dozen books on general Irish topics (roughly 24 books). By looking at the group as a whole, we were able to determine easily which books were really useful and substantial, and which books were of lesser importance or outdated. So we probably weeded about half a dozen books to bring us to a svelte and efficient 18 books. And we felt no remorse about the discards. What a relief!
I also created a section of Books I Haven't Read Yet. This way, when I'm looking for something to read, I can easily browse for a new title. I think of it as Spoonreader's Free Bookstore Inside My Home. Sweet.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

I think it's great that you feel no remorse. I'm so weird about books that even with the total wastes of time I think, "Well, if it's a hard winter, we can burn these or use them for toilet paper."--K