Sunday, July 20, 2008

Yeats exhibit in Dublin

I was reading an excellent article today about a major exhibit about the Irish poet William Butler Yeats going on in Dublin. It sounds fascinating, with lots of multimedia components of interest to aspiring high-tech librarians like me. To quote a bit from the story, which talks about a letter to Yeats from his passionate friend Maud Gonne:
Yeats taped the letter into the notebook. Now, a century later, that book is on display at the National Library of Ireland, opened to a page that is just barely visible under the indirect lighting prescribed for aged ink treasures. Yet every syllable — every comma-deprived sentence, every curve in her script, every ampersand — is legible. Next to the display case the entire notebook has been digitally reincarnated. With the stroke of a finger on a touch screen, a visitor can flip through pages written 100 years ago and summon an image of this letter, or any other entry. If needed, Gonne’s handwriting can be deciphered on a pop-up screen that types out her fevered scrawl.

Read the whole story here. This is very exciting stuff to me.
The heartbreak is that I could have seen the exhibit when I was in Dublin last year, but didn't. It's one of several things that we just didn't jam into our few days in the city. Knowing what I know now, I would have made room for it by bumping something else. On the other hand, the visit to Dublin was a sumptious feast, especially from a literary point of view. So it's like enjoying a fabulous full-course meal and then complaining afterwards because you didn't get a cheese plate too. (And boy do I like cheese plates.) Instead I'll just be thankful for the feast!

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

My first attempt at commenting somehow got lost in the virtual ether--but I have to say once more: I love cheese plates too. And this blog post of yours is incredibly literarily exciting, so exciting we have to call it literary goat cheese. I would love to see the Yeats exhibit, but my next dream vacation involves sand, seafood and Moorish architecture.--K

Angie said...

Sand, seafood and Moorish architecture? That sounds like Tampa!

Kathryn said...

Sounds good to me! The very least we can do is lunch at some halfway point from the in-laws in Tallahassee next time we're down.--K

Kathryn said...

Oh hideous! That might be Gainesville! :)