Thursday, July 10, 2008

Flannery O'Connor, Parker's Back and Comforts of Home

A few weeks ago I was feeling like I had been reading "junk food" lately and wanted to engage with something more substantial. So I read for the first time Flannery O'Connor's short story, "Parker's Back."
How great this story is! It's funny and real and transcendent, all at the same time. What I like about O'Connor is the way her stories are very much in the school of realism, while also being highly symbolic.
It's about a man named Parker who is married, not so happily, to Sarah Ruth. He's also addicted to getting tattoos, which she doesn't like. Rather than divulge anymore, I will instead urge you to run, don't walk, to your nearest library and get a copy of "Parker's Back." You'll find it in the short story collection "Everything that Rises Must Converge" or "The Complete Short Stories." I also want to point you to a wonderful web site I discovered while googling "Parker's Back."
The site is Comforts of Home: The Flannery O'Connor Repository -- created by a librarian, naturally! It is a collection of information and links to authorative information about Flannery O'Connor. I particularly like that it includes a bibliography, aka "Offline resources," for those critical essays that you can't get on the Web. (Shocking but true -- not everything is on the Web.) This site really is a superb model for Web sites that celebrate great literature.

No comments: