Saturday, June 07, 2008

1001 Books

I love lists, and really, who doesn't? So first thing, I went through the new list of "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die," and checked off all the ones I've read. My haul was pretty pitiful. I've read 80 of the books on the list. William Grimes of The New York Times has read 300! Don't I feel inadequate.

I was also startled because if I were to divide the books I've read into categories, the number one category would probably be books I read in high school, followed by books I read with my book group. It really depresses me that I didn't read more in college. Sure, I read some, but not nearly as much as I could have. I wasted so much time in college hanging out, partying, etc. Very dumb on my part. I also read -- by my own choice -- a lot of literary theory in college that has not held up well over the years. That's a whole other post, but I think theory was useful as an analytical tool in some contexts. Now, though, I would prefer that I had had a broader exposure to the history of literature.

I hope to create a new master list of books I would like to read, and then methodically read them, to make up for lost time. But is this realistic? I work a 40-hour job and have friends and family members to attend to. I also have library school and my beloved violin lessons.

College-goers, may this sad tale be a warning to you!

Here are the 10 favorite books of the most recently published 80 books I have read:
  • Kafka on the Shore – Haruki Murakami
  • Life of Pi – Yann Martel
  • Infinite Jest – David Foster Wallace
  • Written on the Body – Jeanette Winterson
  • The Temple of My Familiar – Alice Walker
  • Watchmen – Alan Moore & David Gibbons
  • The Color Purple – Alice Walker
  • Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
  • Interview With the Vampire – Anne Rice
  • In Cold Blood – Truman Capote

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Ha, I have read 136!!! I am SOO MUCH better than you! Not really, we all know spoonreader > hatemyway!

Here is my post on the 1001 list:
HateMyWay's 1001 Books you must read before you die post

Angie said...

I need a job with lots of air travel so I have time to keep up on my reading!!! Reading on an airplane = bliss.

Kathryn said...

Spoonreader--send me your email address so I can add you to my friends on goodreads.com. I just joined. Love, K

Kathryn said...

Okay, I found the list. I'm an English prof, and I can count only 175 of these on my list. However, I have to say about the list that many of the books in the contemporary section I have started but been unable to finish because of their poor quality.--K