Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Unread List

Last night, I walked around the house with the laptop cataloging all my unread books into LibraryThing. I won't say I captured every book, but I got a lot of them, certainly the recent ones. You can check out my list of unread books via LibraryThing here.
There are 62 books on this list as of this writing. The oldest entry is Saint Augustine by Garry Wills, which I cataloged in July 2006 (and probably bought before that). The most recent book I bought a few weeks ago: The Gathering, a modern Irish novel by Anne Enright that won the Booker Prize that I'm about halfway through.
So I have 62 books of 392 that are unread. That means my non-read rate is about 15 percent. This is pretty good considering the number of already-read books I've given away, the already-read books still uncataloged, etc.
So I feel like I want to make some progress on this list, but it is quite long. Intuitively, I feel like I want to first read Jonathan Safran Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and Sean Wilsey's Oh The Glory of It All.
I also get that very depressing but inevitable feeling of never being able to finish reading everything that I want to. I try to accept that I'll always feel that way and get over it. It's not easy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami and Murder in Amsterdam by Ian Buruma. The long and the short of it is that they're both easy but profound reads.

I think of the first paragraph of Wind-Up Bird as a pun on the concept of "cultural theft."