Sunday, October 14, 2007

My personal library

Every time a new book comes into my house, an old one must go out. Why? I only have three bookshelves. And maintaining a simple, clutter-free home where I enjoy spending my time is more important to me than keeping every book I've ever read.
I accept this, but it's still hurts to say good-bye. I try to avoid it, stacking books on tabletops and even on the floor. This goes on for a month or two before I become disgusted and approach the shelves ready to purge. Which should go? Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky? Lenin's Tomb by David Remnick? Or The Quality of Life Report by Meghan Daum? (All actual books recently purged.) These are good books, so it's not a question of quality. Instead, I use two criteria to decide which books to pitch. Is the book going to be difficult to find at a local library? And do I see myself reading this book for a second time, ever? If the answer to both question is no, then out it goes.
(Obviously, I do not throw these books away. They get donated to the local library or given to friends.)
In this way, I have built my own personal canon. Which books will never be pitched? Hard to say with certainty. But off the top of my head, I would put the following random books high up on the list: East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. Pretty Birds by Scott Simon. Then We Came to the End by Joshua Ferris. The Secret History by Donna Tartt. The list goes on ....

2 comments:

R. said...

When I finish my novel, I think I will celebrate by reading Infinite Jest. I am very intrigued by the fact that you like it so much. And then, we can talk about it! So that should only be another four months or so. :-)

Anonymous said...

You should give us your complete Personal Canon. I, for one, would be fascinated.