Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Harry Potter Reading Project Update

Since June 1, I have re-read two of the six Harry Potter books -- Book 1 (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) and Book 6 (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince). I am currently re-reading Book 5 (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). I'm not sure if I will have re-read all six before the final book comes out on July 21, but I'm going to try! (I also have other non-HP books I'm reading, too.)
I'm re-reading for the following reasons:
  • 1. for fun!
  • 2. to mine for clues to the final ending.
Years ago, I read an opinion piece on an HP fan web site -- sadly I can't remember where. It said we current Harry Potter fans are blessed to be able to read the books as they come out, to be able to savor the anticipation between books. Future readers will probably come at the series differently, reading them in sequence much faster. Some children will no doubt spend a long weekend reading all seven books in one big gulp. And their experience will be quite different from the years we current readers -- we few, we happy few (relatively speaking)-- have invested in looking for clues, contemplating themes and teasing out meaning.
That sentiment hangs on whether you believe the Harry Potter books will be read for generations to come. I think they will -- they are that good, embracing enduring themes, like what it means to live a good life in the face of inevitable death. Time will tell.

No comments: