Sunday, April 15, 2007

Oprah's Pic: The Road

I read Oprah Winfrey's current book club pic this weekend: The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. I can't remember the last time I read a book this disturbing. A man and his young son are on the road, traversing a post-apocalyptic landscape (nuclear war? meteor strike?) and hiding out from other survivors bent on rape, murder and cannibalism.
If that sounds austere, it certainly is, but the writing is elegant and convincing. I can't get some of the grimmer scenes out of my head.
I would say the pick is out of character for Ms. Oprah, but one of the things I like about Oprah (and I do like her) is that she usually has a surprise up her sleeve. So it's not out of character in that sense.
The Oprah web site says that Cormac McCarthy is going to give her his first television interview. I'm sure the chance to reach the massive Oprah audience is to tempting to pass up. (Only one author ever did, I think.)
Maybe I'll think of something more profound to say upon further reflection, but right now all I can do is shake my head in disbelief over the power of The Road.

No comments: