Saturday, April 07, 2007

The dreaded "twee" appellation

My book group is preparing to discuss Eat, Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert. I really liked it -- I've been a fan of Gilbert's ever since I came across her distinctive chatty-but-smart magazine stories in GQ years ago. This book is a memoir Gilbert's emotional recovery from a painful divorce. Her solution is to seek pleasure worldwide by eating in Italy, praying in India and finding balance in Indonesia. It's a clever premise, and in the end the book moves beyond her divorce to her spiritual maturation as a complete woman. Her writing is a joy -- breezy, funny and modern. And I really liked the way she documented the hard-to-describe feelings of silent meditation.
But I fear my dear book group compatriot J. is not going to like it. I can hear her now, she will tag it with the dreaded "twee" appellation. What is twee? Twee is anything that J. considers too cutesy or precious or sweet or clever for it's own good. It's the opposite of J.'s most complimentary adjectives, which are -- can you guess? -- "ironic" and "dark" (and sometimes "sarcastic"). Other books we have read that J. said were twee are Winkie by Clifford Chase (a satirical memoir in which a teddy bear becomes ensnared in a terrorist plot) and The World to Come by Dara Horn (a cross-generational love story celebrating Jewish art and literature, hinged around a stolen Marc Chagall painting).
So I'm thinking up my twee counterarguments now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't using a word like "twee" in itself kind of twee?