Friday, June 17, 2005

Trading Dante references with the AC guy

I've been thinking about Dante this week, because our air conditioner is out. It's been three weeks now. Nights are miserable. So I was on the phone with one of the many repair guys we've been dealing with, and he was being a wise guy. So I said, "Look, we don't have air conditioning. And it was like the sixth circle of hell in Dante's Inferno here last night!"
Dropping in a good Dante reference was fun. But then I got to thinking, I just said "sixth circle" because it's alliterative. Maybe that's not the best circle to use in this case? A quick check reveals the sixth circle is home to heretics, locked in their burning tombs. So that's not bad. Mostly I just wanted to make sure that the sixth circle=HOT. Imagine the embarrassment if I had said "ninth circle." Then the AC guy would have come back with something like, "Well, we better call the HEATING guy to come unthaw you from the frozen lake of ice!"
A good summary of Dante's vision of hell is here.
Here's my favorite passage from the Inferno; it's so lyrical. This is from "The Portable Dante," (Penguin Classics) edited and translated beautifully by Mark Musa. In this passage, Dante has not yet started the descent through hell. He meets his guide, the Roman poet Virgil. Virgil tells him about limbo, the netherworld that's neither heaven nor hell.

Then the good master said, "You do not ask
what sort of souls are these you see around you.
Now you should know before we go on farther,

they have not sinned. But their great worth alone
was not enough, for they did not know Baptism,
which is the gateway to the faith you follow,

and if they came before the birth of Christ,
they did not worship God the way one should;
I myself am a member of this group.

For this defect, and for no other guilt,
we here are lost. In this alone we suffer:
cut off from hope, we live on in desire."

The words I heard weighed heavy on my heart;
to think that souls as virtuous as these
were suspended in that limbo, and forever!

"Tell me, my teacher, tell me, O my master,"
I began, (wishing to have confirmed by him
the teachings of unerring Christian doctrine),

"did any ever leave here, through his merit
or with another's help, and go to bliss?"
And he, who understood my hidden question,

answered: "I was a novice in this place
when I saw a mighty lord descend to us
who wore the sign of victory as his crown.

He took from us the shade of our first parent,
of Abel, his good son, of Noah, too,
and of obedient Moses who made the laws;

Abram, the Patriarch, David the King,
Israel with his father and his children,
with Rachel, whom he worked so hard to win;

and many more he chose for blessedness;
and you should know, before these souls were taken,
no human soul had ever reached salvation."

No comments: