Thursday, June 16, 2005

Bloomsday

Today is Bloomsday, June 16th, the day when Leopold Bloom wandered through the streets of Dublin in James Joyce's "Ulysses." (Read about Bloomsday here.)

It reminds me again of how I've never read it.

I have this idea, I want to start the Very Challenging Book Group.

Here would be the first several books we would read:
Ulysses by James Joyce
"The Magic Mountain" by Thomas Mann
"Remembrance of Things Past" by Marcel Proust
"Infinite Jest" by David Foster Wallace.

The only one of these I've read is Infinite Jest, but I would like to read it again.

Won't you join my Very Challenging Book Group?

3 comments:

andrewljohnson said...

I read IJ twice.

Andrew

The Darn News
www.darnnews.com

Angie said...

Thanks for the comment, Andrew!
What did you think of reading it twice? Did it help you figure out the plot better?
That's kind of why I would like to read it twice, to maybe figure out
the connection between Hal and Don, and also if Joelle was truly
deformed or not. (The latter point is more curiosity; I don't really
think it matters if she was deformed or beautiful.)
Also, I'd like to read it twice just because it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Angie,

I want to read Ulysses. Let's do it. We can start a Seminole Heights book club. I bet you can get that librarian in the hood to join us. Also, I think you should add Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon to the list.

Jill