Thursday, January 20, 2005

The Clearing

In the mood for some literary fiction that's not too long? Check out The Clearing by Tim Gautreaux. My book group recently read this.
Two brothers from Pittsburgh manage a cypress mill in the swamps of Louisiana and tangle with the mafia. One of the brothers can't forget his terrible memories of World War I.

I won't say anymore, because it's a good read and beautifully written. Thematically, it's somewhat dark, but it has moments of redemption.

You can find a good interview with Gautreaux here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My book group in Lafayette, LA read this book too. I liked it, even though it was dark in parts. I especially related to it because for me, it was very local. Patterson, LA, where I grew up, was considered the cypress capital of the world (!) early in the 20th century. The location of this book is based on an actual cypress camp. Tiger Island is the location of Morgan City, LA. My grandfather--an your great grandfatther, Spoonreader--caught pneumonia and died while he was working in a cypress camp in Pierre Part, LA, in 1910. Unfortunately, the cypress industry in south Louisiana died when they cut down all the trees!