Saturday, April 12, 2008

Writing and Grief

I'm mostly posting this here for Howellsreader, I thought she would like it. It ran in on the front page of our paper today, and it's about a father who writes science fiction and who lost his son in the Virginia Tech shooting. It was written by my colleague Michael Kruse. It begins:

LAGRANGE, Ga. — Michael Bishop, whose son was a German instructor at Virginia Tech, sat one morning last month in a classroom at LaGrange College, ready to read one of his stories to his students in Creative Writing 3308.

"This was Jamie's idea," he told them.

Jamie Bishop left behind on his computer 10 notes. Michael Bishop, an award-winning science fiction writer, saw them and saw stories. At first he wanted to honor his son by finishing what the son could not. It was a way to keep a connection, and to cope. Keep reading here ...


1 comment:

R. said...

I do really like this story. Thanks for posting it. But I have to clarify what Jamie's father said, even though I understand what he means. It's true that God uses us to redeem many evils in this world, and that we are here to do his work. But not all the evils of this world are redeemed while we are here. And those that aren't will find a much greater Redeemer. This reminds me of the dedication I have been considering for my novel about the Underground Railroad. It might be something like this: "To all those who lost everything in this world, and will have it restored tenfold in the next."