Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Scandal! Scandal! Scandal!

Oprah's last book club pick was harrowing memoir of addiction recovery called A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. On Sunday, The Smoking Gun posted a highly convincing expose (read it here) that debunks a lot of the criminal exploits Frey describes in his novel. It may take awhile for this to shake out -- Frey issued an initial terse statement of denial -- but things don't look very good for his credibility. The Smoking Gun knows their public records, and they're well-known for posting original mug shots, police reports, etc. (If you don't feel like reading the lengthy expose, read a news story about it here.)
Meanwhile, the New York Times this week went after about another druggie memoirist, this one a young man named JT Leroy. The story implies that a 40-year-old woman wrote Leroy's books about homeless child prostitutes and then got her sister-in-law to crossdress as Leroy in public. Read the story here. I'd never even heard of JT Leroy until I read this story, apparently his(?) best-known book is called The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things.
Finally, writer Neil Pollack has a hilarious, R-rated send-up of all this in his blog, in which he reveals he's not everything you may have thought.

My loyal readers. I've decided to tell all after these many years of pretending to be something that I'm not. My role as father, husband, and semi-employed reformed literary hipster is a lie, a cover for the terrible reality of my actual self. Writers, after all, must always tell the truth about themselves. The truth.
I may be a father, but I am also a murderer of children. Several thousand of them have died on my watch, some in secret government-sponsored air raids in foreign countries that no longer exist. But it's more depraved than that. I killed all those children while addicted to crack, and weed, and heroin. That was very hard to do because I couldn't see very well due to the massive quantities of blood that were streaming from the always-open wound in my forehead ... .


Read the whole thing here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi... I'm actually in the Basic Info class with you this semester. I also recently visited the Times to interview for the answer desk job opening -- didn't work out unfortunately. I was a journalism major at UF. My wife Jennie and I have been following the Million Little Pieces debacle too. I think there are about 400 people on the reserve list for the book in the Hillsborough system. I'm surprised the author's legitimacy wasn't tested earlier.
~Robbie Diaz