Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Re-reading books

I often read the same book again and again. Some people I've met think that's pretty weird. Others do the same thing.
Here's a highly unscientific list of books I've read again and again. None of these books are what I would call difficult. And mostly I'm reading them again and again because I find it very relaxing to so. I'm reading them to escape and think about something else for a while

To Kill a Mockingbird
, by Harper Lee
Number of times I've read it: About 20
I always get something new out of reading this, some nuance or sharp point. The book is written from the point of view of a child who observes adults, so some of the clues about what's actually going on are very subtle. (For instance, the scene where the country men confront Atticus at the jail.)

Presumed Innocent
, by Scott Turow
Number of times I've read it: About 20
This is probably the best legal thriller I've ever read. If you know of a better one, please email me! My favorite scenes are when Judge Larren Lyttle dresses down the prosecutors.

Summer Switch, by Mary Rodgers
Number of times I've read it: About 15
This is a kids book, but it's so sophisticated I can't help reading it again and again. Ben "Ape Face" Andrews magically switches bodies with his father Bill, a Hollywood mogul. Ben-as-dad goes to Hollywood to take on the sharks, Dad-as-son goes off to summer camp. Hijinks ensue. I love how sarcastic and vitriolic the father is about being shipped off to camp. Then he decides to take the place over.

No comments: