Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Where do you buy your books?

You won't see me linking all the books I mention to the Amazon web site (though I will link there sometimes).
It's not that I don't like Amazon. I do like them, very much. You can get so many different kinds of books from them, often even the most obscure titiles. And as someone who grew up in a rural town of 4,000 in south Louisiana, I'm sure that Amazon is a virtual godsend to people who have limited access to bookstores or libraries. Amazon has made books from almost anywhere available to almost anyone (at least in the U.S.).
But -- if you live in a city, and can support an independently owned bookstore in your area, please do it. A knowledgeable staff and a small but smartly chosen inventory are absolute treasures. They make independent bookstores oases of intellectual inquiry. I hooked up with a great, great book group through my local store.
You can search for an independent bookstore near you here.
To see the best sellers at independent bookstores, go here.

No comments: